My childhood dream was to be an entrepreneur / author / teacher / speaker / astronaut.
I carried this dream for quite a few years, until middle school teachers and guidance counselors advised me that this was out of the question. They encouraged me to find a “real job” that I might enjoy doing. Through a software program that helps students figure out what job they could potentially do based on their passions, I was told I would make a good lawyer. The second option it gave me was being a circus performer. I have no idea where that one came from. Quite frankly, I think this kind of software should be banned in schools. [Side note: Today I am an entrepreneur and an author and a teacher and a speaker and a soon-to-be astronaut once I book my ticket into space with Virgin Galactic.]
Let’s fast forward to my college years, when I was still thinking I might become a lawyer but my entrepreneurial soul kept whispering to me that I was meant to carve my own path. While I was trying to figure it all out, this happened:
Since starting She Takes on the World in 2008 as a personal blog after having that epiphany, we have grown to achieve some big milestones and accolades along the way:
- Won Blog of the Year 2010 at the Stevie Awards for Women in Business
- Listed on Forbes ”Top 100 Websites for Women” in 2010
- Listed on Forbes ”Top 100 Websites for Women” in 2011
- ForbesWoman Top 10 Entrepreneurial Sites for Women
- Incorporated and became She Takes on the World Inc. on December 19th, 2011
- Won nextMEDIA Toronto’s Digital Launch Pad for the “Hottest Digital Property” in December 2011
- Published She Takes on the World: A Guide to Being Your Own Boss, Working Happy, and Living on Purpose, the bestselling business book for women
- Listed on Forbes ”Top 100 Websites for Women” in 2012
- Listed on Forbes ”Top 100 Websites for Women” in 2013
We are now excitedly beginning a new chapter as we raised our first round of funding in the Fall of 2012 to transform She Takes on the World into a powerful platform that helps women build thriving businesses, and influential personal brands. Stay tuned as we roll out The Conquer Club in a city near you.
Over the last few years we have created A TON of content. This is a curated list of some of my favorite posts, and some of the most popular ones we’ve published:
Building Your Empire and Taking on the World
- This is Why You’re Broke
- The Ready, Set, Go Business Start-Up Checklist
- Ask a CEO: Can I Make a Totally Unreasonable Request?
- 9 Characteristics of a Good Leader
- Does Your Network Have .Net Worth?
- Cull Unprofitable Clients to Help Your Business Thrive
- Four Very Cool Business Card Ideas
- Small Business Lessons from the New York Times Small Biz Summit
- Your Fortune is in the Follow-Up
- Goal Setting: Turning Your Vision Into Reality
- Don’t Lose Them at Hello: Tips to Power Up Your Presentation Skills
Interviews, Inspiration, and Lessons from Successful Women Entrepreneurs
- Danielle LaPorte on Finding Your Way, Telling Your Story, and Starting Fires
- In Her Heels: We Chat With Stella & Dot CEO Jessica Herrin
- My Interview With Barbara Corcoran, Star of ABC’s Shark Tank
- Are You Ready to Be the Happiest Person You Know? My Interview With Gabby Bernstein
- Lessons from Oprah Winfrey: The Ultimate Female Mogul
- Interview With Arianna Huffington on the Purpose of Life and Who Inspires Her
- Gina Bianchini Talks Startups, Lessons Learned, and the Future of Social Media
- Interview With Girl on Top, Nicole Williams
- Eve Plumb on Letting Go of Fear and Reinventing
Entrepreneurial Journey & Life Lessons
- Journey Out of Debt: How This Single Mom Paid Off $93,000 in 3 Years
- The Name Game: Did You Say “I Do” to a Name Change?
- What I Learned from Leftovers
- The Most Difficult Post I’ve Written So Far: My Journey to Self-Love
- When is the Last Time You Took a Guilt-Free Break from Your Business?
- How to Avoid the Top 5 Entrepreneurial Mistakes Made by Women
- Visualization: The First Step on the Road to Success
If you’re new to our community I recommend checking out She Takes on the World TV as well, it’s my weekly video series that features inspiration and practical advice for your business + life.
Thanks so much for stopping by.